Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring in Colorado = Winter

It's a bleak day outside. Snow is tinkling in the air; small flakes fluttering like crystal. It makes me hear the sound of tiny broken glass. Today feels like winter - the winter we here in Colorado haven't had until now. Work has been sporadic, not because of the economy, but because of the snow. It seems to be following a Monday, Wednesday, Friday pattern. I begrudgingly accept this white fate. Why couldn't we have had this moisture in January, February, even early March? I'm ready to work. Trees and shrubs are budding out, only to be frozen by these wintery blasts. Daffodils and hyacinths are trying to bloom, but shiver with each gust of wind. At least the tulips haven't opened yet.

But they are getting moisture with each of these storms - much needed moisture. Two weeks ago, the soil temperature was about 40 degrees. More than warm enough to plant seeds for the vegetable garden. If small seeds like lettuce had been planted yesterday, my neighbor would be harvesting that lettuce with the wind that has been blowing today. Our big snow storm didn't materialize and the wind is once again dessicating the land and leaves. It is supposed to be warm next week. It would be a very good time to plant those cool season crops now, like lettuce and onions, but let the wind die down. It will be much easier.

Peas are better planted in early April than in May. The length of night (not day) influences their yield, hence a larger crop will occur when planted in April. When planting peas, you can also plant carrots, radishes, spinach, swiss chard, leeks and turnips. Soil temperatures need to be about 40 degrees at a 4 inch depth for this group of early vegetables.

And don't worry too much about those frozen buds on your trees. They will bud and leaf out again. But early fruit buds may be gone. If you've planted later blooming varieties, you may get fruit this year.

Evergreens are going to see a lot of needle/leaf browning from all this dry winter weather and wind. There has been a larger needle drop this year due to lack of moisture. Those evergreens really need to be watered all winter long.

Alas, this is a day we don't see the likes of often in Colorado - a day without sunshine. It reminds me of the dreary bone-chilling cold days of winter in the south. But today in Memphis (my home town) was a sunny 70 degree day. I had the chance to visit my family there for 2 weeks in March. I watched the crabapples and pears and redbuds burst forth and the tulips build strong buds. The daffodils were just finishing when I got there. All the trees started putting on bright green buds while I was there and some even leafed out. I shouldn't complain about this bleak day, as soon the sun will be shining again and the crabapples and pears and redbuds will bloom here.

I will have been lucky enough to experience spring twice in one year.

No comments: