Thursday, February 19, 2009

An Octopus' Garden in the Shade


The other day I was helping my friend Sue paint her bathroom. Her niece and nephew where there and we were listening to Gabby's ipod which contained alot of Beatles songs. I was always a Stones fan, but the Beatles have some good songs. Okay, I digress. We were listening to Octopus' Garden. It was 60 something degrees out and of course it got me to thinking. If I was an octopus, what would I put in my garden? Or if I was designing a garden for an octopus, what plants would I use? A shade garden is hard enough, but under the sea? It would be a little easier since there would be water. Surely there would be coral bells. I suppose sea weed grows in the shade. Maybe I could use hosta for seaweed. There's a pink form of Japanese Maple called "Octopus" for its octopus-shaped leaves. I suppose an octopus would want something like that for a tree and certainly a Japanese maple would grow in that much moisture. There's a pink octopus campanula that will take shade. It grows in zone 5 too! There's a pretty cool octopus cactus that might grow here, but I doubt it would grow under the sea, or in the shade. One of the easiest plants to grow here, the state flower, columbine, looks kinda like an octopus. And martagon lilies also look like an octopus. I'm thinking I will have to try an octopus' garden in the shade in my yard. Unfortunately, it won't be under the sea as I water very little in my yard. But maybe the plants would be happy there with no one to tell them what to do. I'd ask my friends to come and see; we could sip some wine in the shade; I would like to be in an octopus' garden with you.

No comments: